Who is Russ
Russ Melton is an experienced City Councilmember who works well with others to get things done for the people of Sunnyvale’s District 4. Recognized for his service and leadership, Russ Melton has a track record of success on the City Council and in the private sector.
Experienced Public Servant
- Elected to Sunnyvale City Council in 2016
- Russ served as Sunnyvale Vice Mayor in 2019
- Government activities include service on the Boards of the Santa Clara Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) , the Silicon Valley Regional Interoperability Authority (SVRIA) and the League of California Cities (LCC) Revenue & Taxation Policy Committee
- Prior to Council, Russ served on the Planning Commission for 4+ years where he was selected three times by his colleagues to serve as Chairperson
- Russ earned an MBA from Santa Clara University
- Honorably discharged from the United States Navy
- Graduate of Leadership Sunnyvale
- Russ’ children attend public middle school in Sunnyvale
- Russ serves on the Parent-Student Advisory Group and previously served as President of the School Site Council
- He and his wife Sami are raising two children in Sunnyvale, his home since 2000
Silicon Valley Expertise
- Born and raised in Palo Alto, Russ has a high-tech corporate background
- Executive VP and COO at National 1st Credit Union
- Senior Finance Manager at National Semiconductor. Worked for five years in mergers and acquisitions, driving strategic transactions involving complex negotiations and legal frameworks. Worked for three years in Tokyo, Japan.
In my spare time, I enjoy coaching and refereeing youth soccer, and I collect historic California license plates.